At Galway Dental Clinic we provide a professional tooth whitening service that will give you a beautiful brighter whiter smile. It is a very popular cosmetic procedure with our patients and they find it makes a huge difference to their smile and as a result their confidence.
How do I get started?
There are two appointments to get started. At the first appointment, impressions are taken of all your teeth and a whitening tray is custom made for you. At your return appointment, the whitening trays are fitted and we discuss the process of whitening in detail with you.
How does it work?
Tooth whitening is a chemical process. The whitening agent used is carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. This causes the tooth to lighten in colour but not alter the tooth structure at all. The enamel, dentine, any fillings or crowns are not affected by the whitening gel.
Will it hurt?
No, however, some patients may experience some sensitivity while whitening. This usually happens towards the end of treatment when the benefits have already been achieved.
Advice for sensitivity
There are many ways to deal with sensitivity if it arises:
– We would advise our patients to use a sensitive toothpaste before during and after the whitening process.
– A break for one or two nights in applying the gel can also help. Instead of placing the gel in the trays, apply the sensitive toothpaste overnight in the tray.
– The trays could be worn in the evening for a few hours rather than the preferred overnight application.
– If a patient is experiencing hypersensitivity the “SensiKin Intensive Gel” can be placed in your trays after a night’s whitening application, wear it for 10-20 minutes in the morning to help.
– We advise our patients if sensitivity persists to always contact us at Galway Dental Clinic.
How long will the results last?
Tooth whitening results are very stable but will also depend on your nutritional habits. If you smoke, drink red wine or eat staining foods then results will fade so you may need to top up periodically. Attending your hygienist regularly will help keep your beautiful, brighter, whiter smile